Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Time Warner...I guess you own me.

In a past blog, I stated that my favorite type of media was my cell phone. However, being that is not a form of mass media, I am going to alter my favorite type of mass media to books/magazines/newspapers – media in print. I like to touch what I read rather than have it on a screen or listen to it.

While I was reading Hanson, I discovered how much the 6 major companies own! I honestly had no idea of the scope of their influence. Two magazines that I enjoy reading are People and Time, both of which are owned by Time Warner. Time Warner also publishes many books that I enjoy reading for pleasure. As I read more, I realized that Time Warner owns the TV station that produced one of my favorite shows, Sex and the City. Even the cartoons I watched as a kid (and yeah, today too) are set out by Time Warner! The more I read, the more I realized that Time Warner is doing exactly what they set out to do – effectively using synergy to control every step I take in the media I enjoy using. Hmm, how’s that for agenda-setting.

No comments: