Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How my Media affects my Reality

My media is limited because I do not use lots and lots of it. I do not watch the news or read the newspaper reguarly, so I do not know all the details. I get the main idea of the news from headlines and browsing on the internet. I prefer to read books (novels) and ocassionally magazines (Time, Newsweek). So that limits my reality and perceptions.

If I engage more media, depending on what it is, I am usually more informed. While I was student teaching I made a point to catch a little bit of some reality shows that I knew many of the other teachers watched, this way I could connect with them and engage in conversation. So, perhaps if I engage in more, I would feel more connected to other people in my world.

When I start to think about who filters, or mangages, the media I use to be informed I start to realize something. Usually the people doing the publishing or broadcasting are in the majority. So, already I am going to have a different view of "reality". Those who own companies are gonig to have a say in what is news. news. As my friend John Mayer says, "When they own the information, They can bend it all they want".

When I hear or read news I definatly get pictures in my head! I usually try to visualize the type of people the news is about (maybe make them up, or get a picture based on prior knowledge). I know that stereotypes (good or bad) that I have in my mind help me to create these images and attitudes. I usually let news wash over me. I take it in, but do not get too involved. Really, I do not enjoy the sorrow that composes much of the news, so if I do not absorb too much, then I do not get upset or sad. On the other hand, I love good news - that is something I take in and treasure.

1 comment:

sivadh said...

I think the quote from John Mayer fits this topic very well. Of course, he is also putting media out there in the form of music for others to listen to. So his fans (and maybe their reality) are probably affected by his music...